Health & Education
Universal and equal access to quality education and health services is a crucial element in reducing inequalities within and among countries. Health and education are key underlying factors in ending poverty and hunger, as well as in promoting social development and economic growth.
We provide a range of consultancy services in furthering social development, especially in the areas of public health, education, and vocational training. Our main areas of expertise include:
- The global health agenda
- Strengthening health systems
- Health interventions in emergency contexts
- Sexual and reproductive health and rights, and HIV/AIDS interventions
- Primary and secondary education (programme formulation, evaluations, impact assessments)
- Tertiary education (research networks, collaboration, concept development)
- Vocational education (analysis, evaluation, involvement of social partners)
At the centre of sustainable growth lie environmental stewardship, social wellbeing and economic prosperity. Sustainable business is a fundamental prerequisite in reaching the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as defined by the United Nations.
Governments as well as the private sector are crucial stakeholders to engage in order to reach the SDGs.
For private companies, mainstreaming sustainability throughout activities and engagements is good business according to international documentation and reports.
There are two main reasons for this:
• Risk Management - it reduces operational risks and adds value to business;
• Business innovation - It provides for innovative business opportunities
Defining coherent policies and strategies, analyzing value chains, building climate resilient infrastructure, investing in sustainable production processes, and ensuring inclusive employment and decent work are all essential elements in supporting sustainability.
Drawing on our in-house expertise and that of our network of collaborating partners, we have the technical know-how and sector-specific expertise to address sustainable business areas individually, as well as providing the crucial inter-linkage between sectors.
Our consultancy services to further sustainable business development include amongst others:
• Analysis and formulation of coherent sustainability values and streamline these values into company mission, vision, and win – win strategies.
• Formulation of policy, legislation and regulation to promote inclusive employment, job creation, decent work and social dialogue
• Social impact assessment, human and labour rights impacts
• Planning, formulation and implementation of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) projects and initiatives. This includes compliance on CSR and strategic pro-active CSR.
• Value chain analysis including mapping and developing concrete shared value propositions
• Facilitate and establish partnership with stakeholder groups including civil society organizations
• Environmental impact assessment, lifecycle analysis, efficient resource utilization (energy, water) and reduction of waste as well environmental footprint
• Business and private sector development, including small and medium size enterprise (SME) development, and access to finance
• National and local level planning and formulation of programmes to strengthen and develop agribusiness, forestry and fisheries sectors for improved livelihoods, diversification and added value
• Development of internal and external communication strategies.
For further information on our Sustainable Business consultancy services, please contact Kamilla Lembcke.
Please also refer to our site for Sustainable Business Support, which is our initiative for support to private companies on Responsible Business Conduct and related issues.
Human Rights & Equality
Peaceful societies promoting the rule of law and providing social protection, equality and access to justice for all, are fundamental to sustainable development.
In conflict areas in particular, there is a persistent need for social protection programmes addressing the rights of vulnerable groups and populations. As gender equality is progressing, the further empowerment of women and girls will play an increasingly crucial role in developing the economic growth of nations.
The equal entitlement to human rights, without discrimination, is a crosscutting issue, as well as a core area, of our operations. Several of our partners come from international law and human rights backgrounds and provide, in combination with our network of external consultants, an extensive platform of experience across the full scope of the human rights based approach (HRBA) to development. Among the services we provide to advance human rights and equality as a whole are:
- Human rights based approach (HRBA) assessment, analysis, implementation and evaluation
- Application of international mechanisms of human rights and international humanitarian law at the international and regional levels
- Human rights implementation, monitoring and reporting in post-conflict and transitional settings
- Legal systems development, strengthening and administration, and the promotion of rule of law and access to justice
- National strategy and action planning, and state reporting mechanisms
- Social protection mechanisms of disadvantaged, marginalised and vulnerable groups and populations
- Gender equality and parity analysis, and implementation of mainstreaming mechanisms
- Provision of equal rights and opportunities mechanisms, including income equality and parity in access to services
- Protection mechanisms against forced labour, violence, abuse and exploration
Urban & Rural Development
While around three quarters of the world’s poor live in rural areas, urban poverty is on the rise due to accelerated urbanisation. The majority of developing nations’ populations experience great inequalities between rural and urban populations, in particular with regards to access to quality and affordable education and health services, to clean water and sustainable energy, and to livelihoods and food security.
Our partners and consultants have the hands-on experience and in-depth knowledge and expertise to offer a wide range of tailored urban and rural development services in areas that include:
- Urban-rural linkages
- Local government and decentralisation
- Strengthening capacity of public and private organisations at national, provincial and district levels, and supporting governments in creating enabling business environments for investments
- Capacity analysis and institutional support to local governments, communities, business organisations and extension services
- Citizens’ engagement, social accountability, and stakeholder analysis and involvement
- Land and natural resource management
- Poverty reduction, food security, food systems and livelihood analysis
- Development of small-scale agriculture, pastoralism, forestry and fisheries activities for improved livelihoods, diversification and added value
- Support to small and medium sized enterprises
- Employment and job creation and income generating activities (IGAs)
- Value chain analysis on input suppliers, farmers, intermediaries, processors, wholesalers and retailers
- Access to micro-finance, including village savings and loans associations (VSLAs)
- Strengthening and development of infrastructure, such as transport, water supply and sanitation, storm water drainage, solid waste management, and electrification
Governance, State & Civil Society
Effective, accountable, and inclusive institutions are vital in ensuring the rights of citizens and their access to services as well as a good, enabling environment for doing business. Our expertise covers the scale of governance related issues in conflict and post-conflict areas, and in low, middle-income as well as high-income countries. Paradigms within the governance area shift over time and NCG actively takes part in contributing to knowledge generation and sharing.
NCG strongly emphasises the importance of getting the analysis right, including understanding the local interests and political dynamics in a country. Our partners and consultants have the required in-depth country knowledge and hands-on experience to offer tailored services to projects and programmes in numerous countries. Our main areas of expertise include, but are not limited to:
- Situational analysis (political economy and political settlement analysis)
- Formulations, appraisals, reviews, evaluations of governance programmes (financial, democratic governance, decentralisation, citizens and civil society inclusion and participation mechanisms)
- Anti-corruption, post-conflict stabilisation and recovery, peace and state building, and access to justice mechanisms
- Organisational and institutional analysis
- Corruption risks and due diligence assessments
- Development of governance indicators and diagnostics frameworks
- Monitoring of governance programmes, capacity development including training, on the job mentoring, courses, and e-learning
- Facilitation of partnerships (South-South and North-South institutional collaboration e.g. between Parliaments, political parties, judiciaries, and Ombudsman, national human rights and equality institutions)
- Governance studies (e.g. gender and corruption, governance in fragile states, national integrity studies, and mainstreaming governance)